Thursday, December 16, 2010

ME UNSWEET!!! HELL YES!!!

If you would have told me last week that the highest sugar level that I would have today would be 145....I would have thought that they were crazy. However, the fact is after my meeting yesterday and the minor adjustments that we made to the Basal settings on my pump have seemed to have made a big difference...I ate the same things that I ate last week only I did not get the HIGH Spikes that I got then.

Am I happy....HELL Yeah I am happy.

A normal A1c which is your 3 month sugar average should be under 7 mine was 10.1 yesterday...the good thing my kidney and liver functions are good....which means that while the sugar level were high there seems to be no residual effects from it. My goal is when I get the A1c in 3 months that I have it down to at least 7. I know that I can do this..I was always doing everything right...so what was the problem??? It would be that while I was actually telling the old doc the settings that they wanted..it was not what I had put in my pump for the basal setting(that is the insulin that the pump gives you consistently throughout the day) I had 2 settings 1 should have been 1.5 but what I had in the pump was 1.05 big difference as it increase at a.05 rate...so I was so not getting enough....I would get the highs and then I would Bolus(that is what you give yourself when you eat something or you can do to correct a high level without eating) which would then cause the extreme lows I was getting.

So where do we go from here....I will be maintaining a 1600-1700 calorie a day diet...why that level? It appears that one can gain weight when sugar is under control and while normal 1800-2000 calorie a day diet will maintain my weight...we agreed on this so that I would either maintain or I would lose...which by the way I would like to drop about 10-15 pounds. I will continue to eat Gluten Free...as I have discussed here before...processed sugars and enriched flours do not mix well in my body.

So what was the big thing that I got out of this meeting yesterday....while all felt hopeless a few weeks ago...is not. Never give up on seeking out the answers if you are not happy with what your doc is telling you or not telling you....you have the right to always seek a 2nd, 3rd or 4th etc etc opinion. You are just not a patient you are a consumer if you are not getting the bang for your buck...you have the right to take your business elsewhere.

Remember you are your biggest advocate.....Speak up already what are you waiting for..it is your life!!!

No comments:


View My Stats